Friday, July 25, 2014

Indirect recycling

Produce bags can be re-used. (public domain photo)
Last post, I talked about how my plumber boyfriend shares his recyclables with local scrappers. We also save aluminum cans for the neighbors to recycle. They use more of them than we do. I call all this indirect recycling. That term could also be applied to up-cycling and other green methods that benefit others or don't involve a trip to the scrapyard.

I indirectly recycle in the garden.

I use wet, rolled newspaper to attract pesky bugs I use cardboard for weed control. Sometimes, it's the cardboard from those water heater boxes. It's the perfect size for garden paths. It biodegrades harmlessly too.

I indirectly recycle in the house.

I use grocery bags (when I forget to bring the cloth bags) as trash bags in the bathroom. OK, it's not exactly recycling, but at least they get more than one use. Plus, I'm not buying special bags for the small bathroom trash cans, which saves resources. I also save the vegetable bags from produce to cut down on the number of plastic zip-lock bags and containers that I buy.

I indirectly recycle on the job.

Sure, I write online for a living. That means I'm at home. So, rather than using disposables for my lunch or generating fast food trash, I eat off my own plates and use my own silverware. Right now, I'm indirectly recycling articles from a soon to close site by posting them on other sites. It saves me writing time, which means less computer time, which means less energy wasted.

How do you indirectly recycle?

Maybe you have some good ideas that my readers and I could use. Leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment